Linux TN5250 FAQ
Supply and Product Information
FAQ-1999-12-07-01 : How can I use it in an xterm ?
FAQ-1999-12-07-02 : How can I use my national keyboard ?
FAQ-1999-12-07-03 : How do I play the
specific AS/400 keys (CLEAR, FIELDEXIT, SYSREQ, TESTREQ, ATTN, DUP, etc.)
Testing and Debugging
FAQ-1999-11-30-01 : How can I store and
replay a session ?
You can produce a tracefile, and then playback the entire session
from start to finish by specifying the tracefile instead of a host to connect
#produce the tracefile to the /tmp/trace.log file
tn5250 -t /tmp/trace.log -u bgi400
#playback the trace file
tn5250 -u debug:/tmp/trace.log
Beware, the tracefile may get very large, and may contain sensitive
information such as the password used to log in.
Tip : reduce the tracefile size
You can filter debugging information from the file :
grep "^@" /tmp/trace.log > /tmp/smaller-trace.log
FAQ-1999-12-01-01 : What is the last
available version ?
The last version is 0.15.3-1 (Build Date: Wed Nov 24 16:20:13)
FAQ-1999-12-01-02 : Where can I get
it (sources, binaries, packages) ?
You can find sources in one backup compressed
file (tar-gzip format) or RPM file (RedHat Package Manager).
Backup compressed file
Choose your version and download it at http://cvs.cleveland.lug.net/module.pl?module=tn5250
Gomez wrote :
You can get sources and binaries in the RPM (RedHat Package Manager)
format at : ftp://ftp.falsehope.com/home/gomez/tn5250
Built under Redhat 5.2 + Updates + RPM 3.0.2 and work under RH 5.x and
Signed with my PGP Key (PGP Key can be found at ftp://ftp.falsehope.com/home/gomez/Henri_Gomez.pgp.key
Uploaded also to ftp://incoming.redhat.com
so soon on all contrib mirrors
Name : tn5250
Version : 0.15.3
Release : 1
Build Date: Wed Nov 24 16:20:13
Install date: Wed Nov 24 16:20:46 1999
Build Host: css5.cs
Group : Applications/Networking
Source RPM: tn5250-0.15.3-1.src.rpm
Size : 241368
Packager : Henri
URL : http://www.blarg.net/~mmadore/5250.html
Summary : 5250 Telnet protocol and Terminal
tn5250 is an implementation of the 5250 Telnet protocol.
It provide 5250 library and 5250 terminal emulation.
* Wed Nov 24 1999 Henri Gomez <email@example.com>
FAQ-1999-12-01-03 : What
is the version log ?
When using --with-slang configure option, no longer cores after
When using debug:tracefile syntax, no longer cores after signon
Fixed assertion found by Sean Porterfield regarding 132-column
Slight work to reduce number of screen updates, although this
Some work on solidifying the lib API.
* Thu Nov 18 1999 Henri Gomez <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Field Exit and Field + are now seperate functions. '+' in numeric
maps to Field +. Field + changes the sign of the number
like it should.
- Re-implemented transmitting signed fields to host.
- Re-implemented Field -.
- Numeric Only and Signed Number field types are handled according
now, even though the spec is really weird about how they are
(The last digit's zone is changed on Numeric Only on Field -/+,
sign position is changed from ' ' to '-' with Field -/+, and
shift for that one takes place at transmit.)
- Now ignore garbage keys again. Why are we getting two decimal
we type the first character? This doesn't make sense unless
to how we detect the xterm.
* Wed Nov 17 1999 Henri Gomez <email@example.com>
- 3/4ths of the restructuring to make it feasible to use lib5250 for display
services for applications has been done.
- Lots of cleanup - no longer has duplicate field value data, nor does
many different componenets having a different perception of
- Implemented terminal bells. Whistles yet to come.
- Some minor stuff. Field Exit Required fields now require field
* Tue Nov 02 1999 Henri Gomez <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Full FreeBSD support, see the README and other files in the freebsd/
directory. Special thanks to Scott Klement for this (I've
put his name
over the ChangeLog for this -- this way, it's not _my_ fault
- Linux-specific files moved to linux/ subdir.
- README files updated - now more clear on how to set up X Windows
- Field Minus sequence (Esc+M) added.
- Dup key support added.
- Small field exit bug fixed.
- Help key/aid code implemented.
- Fix per Carey Evans for handling right-blank fields.
- Reset key now works even when keyboard is locked. Possible
where reset key could cause the next keystroke to be ignored
- C programs which use stdin/stdout will now clear the input line properly.
- A small fix to format table handling code with the Repeat to Address
This problem may never have been observed, but hey...
* Wed Oct 06 1999 Henri Gomez <email@example.com>
- updated Readme
EMAIL : firstname.lastname@example.org
PGP KEY : 4912D659 ...oOOo..(_)..oOOo...
PGP Fingerprint : 8CAD0D50356DA7E45C540B010FFE39E8
FAQ-1999-12-07-03 : How do I play the specific
AS/400 keys (CLEAR, FIELDEXIT, SYSREQ, TESTREQ, ATTN, DUP, etc.) ?
Extract from tn5250 manual pages (You can get the whole by entering "man
tn5250" at the linux shell prompt) :
This manual assumes that
the user is familiar with a real 5250 terminal, or another 5250 emulator,
and only describes features
relevant to tn5250 itself.
The following table lists
the 5250 functions implemented by tn5250, and the
are represented as Emacs does: C-a means hold Ctrl and press A, M-a means
or C-g followed by A, and
C-M-a means press Esc or C-g followed by C-a.
F1 - F10
f1 to f10, M-1 to M-
f11 , M--
f12 , M-=
F13 - F24
f13 to f24 , M-! to M-+
return, enter, C-j, C-m
next, pagedown, C-d, C-f
prev, pageup, C-b, C-u
insert, M-i, M-delete
C-k, C-x, M-x
+ , same as FieldExit
M-m, - 
Next Field tab,
Prev Field backtab
keys generate f11-f24, backtab, backspace and delete is very dependent
on the configuration of the terminal.
 + and
- only work as Field+ and Field- in signed numeric fields.
FAQ-1999-12-09-01 : Where can I find an
OS/400 V4Rx command reference ?